Friday, October 12, 2007

Why on earth would I want a dog?


I am not sure why I decided to look at dogs the other night... I think I scared my husband and was on the verge of making a HUGE mistake...At least, at this point in our lives. Now, I have had this fascination for weimaraner dogs since I was in college in Bloomington. This stems back almost ten years. I think that they are a beautiful breed and would be great pets...At least I thought they would.



I was so interested, I even called a rescue in Michigan for information on adoption. The woman I talked to was really helpful. I even have the application on my computer partially filled out. Keep in mind, this was even after she told me that a weimaraner would do an entire couch in within 20 minutes... I didn't even blink!



Then, I realized what an idiot I was. What in the world was I thinking? Like I need a dog right now! (Plus, I would kill it if it ate my couch right now!) I began to think about it more and realized that if I wanted a dog, maybe it was time for another child. While the two are completely different, they fill a mothers need to nurture and love. Not to mention, I would much rather have a baby than a dog!



Whew! It was a close one. I can't say that I won't completely stop loving the weimaraner dogs though. I still would like one some day. Who knows, maybe when my couches are older!


8 comments:

Lara said...

I am usually not a fan of those type of dogs, but can he BE any cuter? I don't think so. Like I stated before, you should NOT get a dog until you have that yard fenced in. Then GO FOR IT! You know Auntie Lara will be there to babysit whenever the Snell family needs to go away! So baby or doggie? Tough choice, but I would go the doggie route...that's because my lil' girl is turning 18 in a few days and now it's time for mom and dad to have some fun!!

Charlene said...

I think a dog for Lara is just great, but Matt needs a BOY! I vote for another baby - take it from someone who had alot of dogs and now wishes she'd just had babies!! Though you can kennel up the dog and go out for dinner and it's NOT illegal....

Rose said...

Hi Jessica! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit :) And I think your blog looks really great and festive for the season too.

I had a neighbor who had one of those pretty gray dogs...they need lots and lots of room to run. Certainly not a city dog, if you do live in a city. I vote for a baby too!! They grow up so darn fast :( And then there is that looooong stretch between babies and grand babies. That's the time to get a dog. My tiny little Jack Russell puppy ate the center out of one of my sofa cushions this week in about six minutes flat. Last time I'll leave her alone in the house!

Alana said...

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I did a double take when I saw your blog name because there is another blog that I read by that name. You should check it out. You can find the link on my blogroll.

Blessings!!

Warren said...

Not fair Charlene. Just because you've been told to stop razzing me about marriage doesn't mean you can give Jessica a hard time about having another kid. Has anybody asked for Matt's opinion about this?? I say go for a smaller dog and work up toward your dream dog(didn't Matt want a bulldog at some point)?

Lara said...

Yeah I know...a baby is better. But I LOVE doggies. You 2 are still youngins and a playmate for Alanna would be lots of fun. I'm sure she would love to torture a lil' brother or sister. And Warren you are correct..Matt wants a Bulldog still, but a boy more!

Jessica said...

Yes.. Matt does want a bulldog and a boy... I think the baby is best... I dont want to clean the bull dogs face. YUCK!

Becky said...

Yes, yes, yes...HAVE ANOTHER BABY!!! :)