Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Irony of Healthcare Workers

I was trying to think of something to blog about, and this idea came to me while I was walking into work yesterday. Health care workers are hypocrites. Seriously. As I walked into work yesterday, this is what I observed on the way to my unit.

Standing room only on a bus that transports employees about three blocks to work because people can't walk it

Respiratory therapists taking a smoke break outside

A overweight nurse carrying in donuts

A doctor driving without using a seat belt

Staff using an elevator to go up only one floor in the hospital

SERIOUSLY? C'mon. No wonder nurses get such a bad reputation! We are hypocrite! How can we expect our patients to do what is right when we don't? On the flip side, I am grateful for the job security that seems to be in place!

4 comments:

HRH said...

So true.

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Jessica, you are so true about this... sad but true.

Smalltown RN said...

it's human nature...yes I know as health care practisoners we should try to emulate good healthy life styles....but freedoms....personally if I was approached by an overweight nurse trying to give me teaching on good heart health...I would take the material and go...yeah right....

Crooked Eyebrow said...

So very true
how about a diabetic nurse, who is a diabetic educator, bringing in sweets all the time at work.

Oh the irony can be found everywhere.